Skip to main content

Regarding Jane Austen

I was surprised to see a reference to one of my books in yesterday’s Book Review section of the New York Times (7-17-2017):  “In 1979, Warren Roberts produced a thoughtful study called “Jane Austen and the French Revolution.”  The great event is never mentioned in the novels, but it is there, Roberts argues, invisibly woven into the narratives.  Kelly (who wrote the book under review) makes the same point herself to support her “secret radical” thesis.  But Roberts conclusions are cautious.  Kelly’s are adventurous.  Some work better than others.”

My book on Jane Austen came out in 1979; I wrote it after spending a sabbatical year in England in 1970-71.  I had just completed my first book and had no idea what I would do next.  We lived about fifty miles from Steventon, where Austen grew up; I had read her novels and decided to drive to Steventon, even though her village house no longer stood.  But the chapel, just outside the village, still stood; seeing it, being inside it, made a deeply lasting impression.  It is very small and has plaques, memorials to Austen’s father and one of her brothers who were both rectors in the parish.  It was a beautiful day; no one else was there; I remember the wind blowing through the fields behind the chapel.  Seeing the chapel in Steventon made me decide to continue work on Jane Austen; I bought a copy of her letters and her youthful writings; by the time we returned to America I had begun the book on Jane Austen.  I finished the manuscript and sent it to three American university presses; none were interested.  I decided that was it; I would turn to another writing project.  It was at this precise time that my wife Anne, who was a librarian at the University at Albany, where I taught, brought home a copy of a book that had just arrived at the University library.  It had not yet been catalogued.  There was an article by an eminent Austen scholar, whose work I had read carefully.  His piece covered some of the same material that I also covered in one of my chapters; I sent him a copy of that chapter.  Within a couple of weeks I received a letter from Macmillan requesting a copy of my manuscript; the Austen scholar, B.C. Southam, contacted Macmillan about my manuscript.  I sent them my manuscript; they accepted it for publication without calling for revisions. 

The title of my book, “Jane Austen and the French Revolution,” came out of my training and thinking; I am an historian.  Jane Austen never referred to the French Revolution in her novels or in her extant correspondence, but I saw her and her fiction within an historical framework in which the French Revolution was important; it changed English life profoundly.  Austen was born in 1775; she died in 1817; she lived through an age of upheaval.  She did not refer to the French Revolution but it left its mark on her and her writing.  Or so I argued.  It has been almost forty years since my book on Jane Austen was published; I was greatly pleased to see the reference to it in yesterday’s NY T.  Tomorrow will be the 200th anniversary of her death.  She was little known during her lifetime; her name did not appear in any of her novels during her lifetime.  It was only much later that her novels began to occupy the prominent place that they have enjoyed ever since. Yesterday’s Book Review section of the NYT has six pieces on Jane Austen; she is now one of the immortals of English literature.    



   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on my blogs at the Times Union

I have just read through my blogs, which began in 2009; this is when Michael Huber, a graduate student at UAlbany, asked me if I would like to write blogs for the Albany Times Union.  I told Michael that I didn’t know what blogs were; he replied that that didn’t make any difference; if I was interested I could write them and email them to him; he would post them.  I don’t know how many I have written; perhaps it was 150 or 200.  Michael left his position at the Times Union a few months ago; I retired from UAlbany in 2013 and now live in retirement in Florida, but I continued to write blogs  until Michael retired.  He spent a few days’ vacation here when he retired; he stayed with his sister, her husband, and their children. I regret to say that I have lost contact with him since I saw him here. I have just read through  all of my blogs several times; doing so has driven home to me how much they have meant to me. The woman who took Michael’s position with the Times Union notif

Tina Howe and Norman Levy

An article in yesterday’s New York Times, “Alzheimer’s and Other Late-in-Life Storms,” (7/23/17) is about Tina Howe and her husband, Norman Levy, who has Alzheimer’s.  The article doesn’t say much about Tina and Norman’s life together, aside from a few comments on how they met and on Norman’s medical condition, which was diagnosed in 2013.  There is a picture of them together in the article; they are in their apartment in the Upper West end of Manhattan; this is where my wife, Anne, and two Albany friends visited Tina and Norman in 2009.   Norman was a colleague of mine in the History department at the University at Albany for a few years, before he and Tina left Albany and moved to New York city.  We never lost touch with them and we saw them several times when Tina was invited to Albany to give talks.  She had written plays when she and Norman lived in Kinderhook; she showed Anne one of her plays, which Anne thought was funny but a bit bizarre; men licking whipped cream from the
I am posting my blogs, written over a period of some nine years, I believe.  I am posting them in the order in which I wrote them, I say to anyone who might have gotten this far going through my blogs.